Saturday, June 30, 2012

You will be missed

{When Harry Met Sally, 1989}

My friend, Katie, send me a lovely email a few days after Nora Ephron's death. It included the following quote from a commencement address given by Ephron in 1996. I think after much discussion with other moms regarding Anne-Marie Slaughter's piece in The Atlantic "Why women still can't have it all" , Ephron (not so surprisingly), brings sincerity and humor to the most complex question. Because sometimes it is in the moments of total chaos when I surprise myself the most. 

"Maybe young women don’t wonder whether they can have it all any longer, but in case any of you are wondering, of course you can have it all. What are you going to do? Everything, is my guess. It will be a little messy, but embrace the mess. It will be complicated, but rejoice in the complications. It will not be anything like what you think it will be like, but surprises are good for you. And don’t be frightened: you can always change your mind. I know: I’ve had four careers and three husbands."

No comments:

Post a Comment